Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Best Chrismukkah Present (Dec. 22 - Dec. 28.)

There was a scheduling conflict in my living room. My roommates had made plans to watch the entire anime series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, including three movies. I wanted to watch the last regular season game between The Philadelphia Eagles and the despised Dallas Cowboys. And, as fate would have it, this matchup was also the battle for the last wild card spot. So despite these epic proportions, I was out-voted and forced to relocate to Big Wang's (the local version of Hooters) for the game.

I found an empty table with a view and made myself comfortable. The Eagles had one amazing play after another. I was standing on my chair and screaming my head off, alone. After one particular interception by the Eagles, I excitedly and desperately searched around for a high-five and found only Giants fans. That is when I relocated to the Eagles' corner of the bar.

From my new spot, I was within earshot of the Eagles fans one table over. The all-too-familiar comments they made throughout the game, (see twitter.com/dan_gordon) "Westbrook is the most underrated running back in the NFL," and the obnoxious "Oh no, Ro-mo!" awakened me to the sad truth that, as an Eagles fan, I have no original thought.

The photo series follows the emotional rollercoaster running inside of this goatee'd Eagles fan, aka The Fan. The framing worked out incredibly for storytelling since there is an additional TV above his head playing the same game.






"Anxiety"
The Fan and Dallas Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones, (on TV), watch the game, biting their nails, with the knowledge that only the winning team will advance to the playoffs.






"Awe"
The relationship has been a rocky one -- The Fan, like an abusive alcoholic, said things out of anger and frustration. And, in return, the quarterback was rumored to be switching teams. But those times are in the past. And The Fan looks on proudly at his quarterback, taking large swigs of gratitude and awe.









"Release"
'I love you' means annihilating your biggest rival in a 44 to 6 victory to advance to the playoffs.









E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!

No comments: