Saturday, February 7, 2009

Found Art and Simpler Times

My 11-year-old cousin, Laura, and are new pen pals. Here is her last email:
How's California? What is the average temperature? What did you do today?
Guess what we are supposed to get 4-6in. of snow I don't think it will happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I usually give her a quick reply but I had a lot of free time on set and chose to be more specific. . . .

Hey Laura,

I was originally going to write a quick email back to you. Then I decided to really think about what you were asking me: Is California good, what is the average temperature, and what did you do today.

I think I can speak for Cara and Aunt Lisa when I say that California is still here and good. However, we are in the middle of a serious budget crisis. The state is running out of money...fast. The state legislature is in a bipartisan deadlock and our governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, is demanding big cuts in schools, hospitals, and necessary social services. I hope they work it out soon. When it comes time for tax returns, a bunch of we Californians may be getting I.O.U.s instead of a check. I guess the moral of the story here is don't spend money that you don't have, even if it's something you really want. Just save up for it, and then get it. I am partially to blame for this budget crisis. I have a little bit of credit card debt. On second thought, I don't know enough about our financial system to know whom my little debt effects. That's another lesson: take economics in high school. Don't bail out on that class for Understanding Children II. Sure, it's easier, it raises your GPA, and you get to have an egg baby, but egg babies aren't helpful when you are trying to explain the importance of money management to your younger cousin. Well, maybe this is: don't keep your egg babies in one basket. But you are only supposed to have one egg baby, just like you should only have one credit card. ... I have spent the past five minutes working on the egg baby/economy analogy and that's as far as I can stretch it, which is my point exactly. This is exhausting talking about politics and the economy. I long for simpler times. I think you are still in your simple times. Hold on to it as long as you can.

So what did I do today? I'm shooting the pilot episode of a web series. The pilot episode means it's the very first episode, or test episode, of the whole series. If the people with the money (a TV network like NBC or FOX, or a movie studio like Sony or Warner Bros.) like the show, then they buy it and pay us to shoot more episodes. I really hope that happens.

On set today, I was standing outside on the sidewalk of a busy street in my underwear and holding a shoe in my hand. It's a comedy. While I was waiting for action, a passerby got distracted looking at me. Which unfortunately meant he was not looking at the road or the giant cement truck that he smashed into. Don't worry. He was fine. So was his wife and baby. There is a lesson to be learned here: always keep your eyes on the road because, whether you like it or not, what you do effects other people.

We don't have heat working at our house right now. Our landlord/neighbor didn't pay his gas bill on time and so they shut off his gas. There's a lesson!: always pay your gas bill on time, especially if it's winter. So our neighbor and his family were cold and the gas company wasn't coming until Monday to turn it back on. So he connected a pipe from our gas line to his, effectively stealing our gas. He said he would give us twenty bucks for the gas he used. That was nice of him but when the gas company finally came they told us it was really dangerous and that is how houses blow up. The gas guy put a lock on the pipe so our neighbor couldn't steal our gas again, but our neighbor took the lock off. He's a pretty crafty guy. Then things got interesting. When I got home late last night, after a long day on set, my girlfriend and roommate were wrapped in blankets. Apparently, the gas guy came back again, and this time he turned OUR gas line off. Here's another lesson: don't help someone do something that you know is wrong because the gas company will eventually turn your heat off, too. I spoke with their customer service, which is open 24 hours a day. I like that they are available anytime I need them but it is uncomforting that they provide a service that can goes wrong so often that they need to be open all the time. The customer service agent apologized for the mistake, and assured me the gas guy would be by in the next one to four hours. So before I went to bed last night, the thermostat read 58 degrees. When I woke up shivering this morning at 7am with blue-is toes, it read 53 degrees. Assuming it was warmest around 2 o'clock in the afternoon, I would guess the average temperature in January is 61 degrees. That's probably a lot warmer than it is by you on the east coast, at least outside your house.

So, as you probably guessed, the gas guy never came by last night. I think there’s a lesson to be learned here: people will not always do what they say they will. And, also, just because someone has a job doesn't mean they're any good at it. I'm sure you have a teacher or two that you really don't like and you keep complaining that you're getting tested on things you swear he or she never even taught you! That’s another lesson: the system isn't always fair. It's imperfect. Just like our state budget, and our gas companies, and our schools. But, you can get involved and change any one of them. As long as you enjoy what you do. I think that's really important. That's why I am in Los Angeles and acting. Just make sure, no matter you do, you step back and take time to appreciate the average temperature outside, no matter where you are.

As you have probably realized by now, I have a tendency to over-think things sometimes. I hope I didn't scare you too much with what I've said. Everything will be fine. My gas will get fixed, and so will California's budget. In the end, it will all work out because everything is what you make of it. Yesterday on set I was more focused on getting my contractual breaks and how I was so tired all day. When I got home last night, which took a while because my car didn't start. My director was kind enough to help me jump my car. Those batteries last long, but die fast. At home, my friends listened to me complain for a little while than called me a word that means I was acting like a baby. They were right. They are good friends. I was doing what I love and I was missing my chance to enjoy it. I went in the next day with a different attitude and had a great time! It was the same place, the same people, and I even got less sleep in a colder house. The only thing that changed was how I looked at what I was doing. Everything in your life is exactly what you make of it. No more, no less.

I gotta go. I'm parked at a Carl’s Jr. and a police car is pulling over a guy in a minivan who is in the middle of placing his order. They are making him pull out backwards through the drive thru.

Every moment has an opportunity worth enjoying. Catch as many of them as you can.

Love,
Danny

. . .

Since writing that I have found moments where I am giving myself time to play.
Here's what I have found...

"eggs"
My girlfriend says it looks like me. Apparently I make that face.



"grizzly old lady"
You know the one. This is her parking spot.



"strung out"
This is what happens when the sun rises and you are still in night mode. Go to IHOP.


No comments: